Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Showcase: Fimir of Albion Army

Hi lads, it's time for a new concept I have been working on for the blog since a while. As during my many internet searches I have always stumbled upon the greatest and most magnificent wargame armies you have every seen, therefor I decided to start posting these Showcase posts which show the utter determination and skills of fellow wargamers across the globe and are an inspiration for our own conquest of the lead mountain. The first in this showcase series is Mr Saturday which has been focussing on an old school Fimir Army using bits and pieces from different manufacturers supplemented by some home casting and converting!

The results are simply breathtaking an even more can be found on his own blog. "Hey all. I've been working on this project for a while now, and I've threads running in a few forums as I want as much feedback as I can get. I've been lurking on here a while now, and figured it's time to dip my toe in the water, as it seems like this forum has many excellent (and bleedin' talented) gentlefolks upon it, and your august opinions would be much sought after. So here goes. I'm building a fimir army for warhammer fantasy. The more elderly among you may remember the giant fimir from warhammer 3rd edition, sculpted by Nick Bibby. I've always fancied doing a full army based on a combination of Celtic mythology and aesthetic cues from places like Brian Froud's art and films like the Dark Crystal. I found the background I needed in Warpstone 25, a WFRP fan magazine. Armed with this excellent material I began assembling the clan of fimir who rule the bogs of Western Albion. There are very few fimir miniatures, those that do exist going for a king's ransom on ebay. I managed to purloin enough for my needs, and then came across the problem of human-scale fimir. There were two, one in metal scuplted by Jes Goodwin, and the more famous Heroquest plastic fimir. Not much. The new savage orcs had recently been released from Games Workshop, which seemed to be perfect for what I needed. Some sculpting, mould-making and casting later, and I was on my way.

Here are some shots of work so far. I aim for 2000pts initially, with another 500 later on. As a teaser we have the finished warrior horde, the other units and the pictures in progress can be found on the excellent Mr Saturday's Mumblings blog, I'm especially looking forward to see the half dead as they look great!



No comments: