Saturday, December 24, 2011

German artillery, an 88' battery

Hi, here's some more progress for my Operation Sealion project. This time I managed to finish an 88 gun battery for my German forces. The Flak88 was one of the best artillery guns during the Second World War as it could be easily transported and could be used as both anti aircraft and tank gun. During the Spanish Civil War, earlier versions of these guns were succesfully used against tanks. Also during the invasion of France in 1940, the gun proved a powerful weapon capable of penetrating the armour of the Char B1 Bis and Mathilda II. During the invasion, the guns were able to destroy 152 tanks and 151 bunkers.

For my wargames I decided to built a battery of two gun as more would take too much place on the tabletop. Building and finishing these guns also triggered me to finish my other German artillery pieces. One of the guns is made by Airfix and came in a boxed set with a tractor and a limber, the other gun is of an unknown manufacturer but was easier to put together.

A view of the entire 88 gun battery, the towvehicles will follow in the future.

A close up of the limber

I hope you enjoyed the battery! And a Merry Christmas to you all!

Greets,

8 comments:

Sun of York said...

This was a classic Airfix kit, only let down by the lack of crew. I look forward to seeng the tractors. Cheers.

Ian said...

Looking good, I guess I should follow your blog so I can spy on the competition ;-)

Ian

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Hi, thanks one of the guns is an Airfix model which came with a limber and tractor. The other one was won during a blog contest and is of an unknown manufacturer.

I will try and finish the tractor in the new year!

Thanks for following, good spying idea will do the same :)

Greets,

Guidowg said...

Fantastic blog.............Have a very Merry Christmas and a great new year.

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Thanks!

Rodger said...

Very nice work. Merry Christmas.

Paul said...

Super work!

All the best for the festive season and may all your gifts be model related!

Model Christmas!

Regards Paul

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Thanks a Merry Christmas to all of you! No models but a bunch of historical dvd's, I'm not complaining :)