Monday, August 8, 2011

Small dark age farm

Hi, here's a recently finished terrainpiece that I've made to test some new materials and techniques I've found! The house was made by making a basic shape out of thick cartonboard, this shape was covered with wooden "placematts" ideal to fast construct wooden houses. The removable roof was also made out of cartonboard and was covered with dried banana leaves. The fencing was made by drilling holes in the base which I used to base the poles which support the twig fence.

Here's a close up of the fencing, which was first covered with two layers of diluted PVA, afterwards basecoated with three coats of scorched earth and drybrushed with a lighter tone.

The first new material I tested were dried banana leaves! This material is ideal as rooftiles for primitive housing as it looks really old and is very easy to cut.

The second interesting new material I used was some sort of garden fencing made of small branches and twigs. This material is ideal for woven fences which were mostly seen in the Dark ages but can serve through the ages in all kind of different settings.


I hope you enjoyed this small post about new materials!

6 comments:

Dan said...

Great looking terrain piece. Very well done especially the fence!

captain arjun said...

Brilliant!

Tomsche69 said...

I really love those fences, great work

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Thanks!

Kokoda Track said...

Those are excellent work..Excellent painted figures!Really I love this.....Thanks!!!!

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Thanks a lot!